NEH banner

Funded Projects Query Form
One match

Grant number like: RQ-279788-21

Query elapsed time: 0.024 sec

Export results to Excel
Save this query

RQ-279788-21

Northern Michigan University (Marquette, MI 49855-5301)
Robert Whalen (Project Director: December 2020 to present)
The Complete Works of George Herbert

Preparation for print publication of three volumes, along with the corresponding digital components, of the complete works of George Herbert (1593-1633), including translations of Herbert’s Latin and Greek works. (36 months)

GEORGE HERBERT: COMPLETE WORKS (GHCW) is a comprehensive scholarly edition under contract with Oxford University Press: three print volumes, with extensive textual and critical apparatus, and including original verse and prose translations of Herbert’s Latin and Greek works. Complementing the print edition is a parallel-text digital resource that captures all witnesses as archive-quality images presented alongside diplomatic transcriptions. The edited texts, apparatus, and translations are reserved for the print edition, while the digital complement captures the full textual record as a dynamic and robust searchable archive, preserving the whole of Herbert’s oeuvre for future generations of scholars, students, and general readers. The $300,000 in NEH funds sought here represent roughly 41% of the project’s total costs. The editors’ institutions are committed to providing the remaining 59%.

Project fields:
British Literature; Classical Literature; Renaissance Studies

Program:
Scholarly Editions and Translations

Division:
Research Programs

Totals:
$300,000 (approved)
$300,000 (awarded)

Grant period:
10/1/2021 – 9/30/2024